My mother's recipe
1-1.5 lbs of lamb or chicken
1 medium onion
2 Tbsp canola oil
2 good sized garlic pieces
1/2 inch ginger
1 Tbsp curry powder
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp cardamon
1/4 tsp coriander powder
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup chicken broth
4 lemon grass leaves (if available)
1. Cut meat into bite size pieces (with or without bones, but leaving bones in sauce makes it more flavorful)
2. Chop onion finely or grind in small food processor. Put onion in warm or hot oil. Heat on medium high heat and keep stirring for 10-15 minutes.
3. When onion is golden brown add chopped garlic and ginger. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Add curry powder, paprika, cumin, cloves, cardamon, and coriander. Stir for 1 minute.
4. Add meat, potatoes, and salt. Keep stirring.
5. Once the meat is seared, add chicken broth and coconut milk.
6. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat to simmer. Add lemon grass leaves (if available)
7. When meat and potatoes are almost done, approximately 15 minutes, add hot pepper.
8. Serve over steamed jasmine rice.