1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (or leftover roasted chicken)
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (1 boxed package)
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic
1/4 tsp thyme
dash of celery seed
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
Crust: Biscuit Recipe
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/3 cup butter
1 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 425 F
2. Cube chicken breast and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, and set aside.
3. In a saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat. Mix chicken and veggies into hot liquid mixture.
4. Pour mixture into bottom of pie dish. Cook in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
5. While the mixture is cooking, mix biscuit mix according to directions below.
1. Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Cut in softened butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add milk.
3. Mix just enough to combine the ingredients.
4. Turn out onto a floured surface, and knead 15 to 18 times.
5. Roll out dough to overlap the size of the pie dish. Thickness should not be greater than 1". Brush off any excess flour but ensure that the dough does not stick to each other when lightly folded on top of itself.
6. When the pie mixture is boiling at the edges, take the pie out of the oven.
7. Lightly fold the dough to make it easier to add the dough crust to the pie dish. Once dough is overhanging the entire edge of the pie pan, take a rolling pin and lightly roll along the edge of the pie pan to shape the crust. Remove excess dough. Cook for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown on top. (note: if the pie mixture is not hot enough, the dough may not be completely cooked. Yuck!!)